By Stephanie Dietl of the Diane Olson Team
When purchasing a vacation retreat in Arizona landscaping your yard is a chance to put your personal touches into your new home. In the sunny state of Arizona you will find that you will be enjoying barbeque and socializing outdoors often.
You can get your hands dirty and go to one of our many great nurseries to view a large selection of plants, trees, shrubs or flowers too.
Or you can hire one of the many reputable landscape companies to design and install for you. Choose a company that has experience, ensures quality, fair pricing and will stand behind their work.
Either way you need to ask questions like:
- 1. How does the plant do in Arizona? (remember full sun can be different from one state to another)
- 2. What can you expect in terms of up keep? (trimming, pruning, raking, etc.)
- 3. How long will the plant live?
- 4. How much water will the plant need to survive? Is it the same amount of water the other plants around it need?
- 5. Do the watering needs of a plant vary with our Arizona seasons? (Yes, we do have seasons!)
- 6. Do cactus type plants need water? How much? When?
- 7. Does the plant multiply? Consider this if you don’t want this plant take over an area.
- 8. Do I need to fertilize a plant? Can I use the same fertilizer on all plants?
- 9. When is the best time to plant?
Doing work in the yard can be therapeutic but ask yourself how much of your time do you want to dedicate to this task. Or how much is it going to cost to have some else maintained your landscaping.
There are lots of options and resources out there. You can search on line or ask a neighbor for recommendations.
Create your own special oasis then sit back and enjoy. The most importing thing is to have fun doing it!
Diane Olson is a former Canadian police officer whose team of agents has earned its reputation as Canada’s go-to realtor for Canadians looking to buy vacation and investment property in Arizona.